Update : The Bonavita BV1800SS is discontinued and is replaced by the newer version BV1900TS. There aren't much differences between these two models except a few dimensional differences.
We have been busy testing out the latest offerings in the drip coffee maker sector.
We have tested hundreds of models and we are now sharing with you the best of the bunch.
Today, we will be talking about the Bonavita 1800SS machine. This nifty little machine has a great design and is really easy to use, producing great tasting coffee every time.
Read on to find out more about:
- The features of this machine
- How it works
- The advantages and disadvantages of choosing this machine
- Who the machine is and isn’t suited to
- Some top tips for getting the most out of the machine
The Features of the Bonavita 1800SS
“With a Bonavita coffee brewer, you’re just one press of a button away from a perfect cup of coffee. We’ve refined our brewers down to the essential elements so it’s simple to consistently brew great coffee.”
The fab features of this machine include:
- Simple, one touch brewing.
- 1400W water heater: This high powered heater ensures the water is heated quickly to the perfect temperature and then that temperature is maintained throughout the brewing process to ensure you get the maximum extraction from your coffee for the richest, deepest flavour.
- Shower head water inlet: The shower head water inlet ensures that the water is passed evenly through the coffee grounds, which again ensures you are getting the maximum extraction and the best flavour and aroma from the beans.
- Stainless steel thermal carafe: The thermal lining and stainless steel exterior of the carafe ensure that your coffee is kept hot for as long as possible.
- Easy cleaning: The filter basket, the carafe lid and the shower head water inlet are all dishwasher safe meaning cleaning this machine is as easy as it gets.
- BPA free: All of the plastics used in making the machine are BPA free meaning no nasty chemicals.
- Large brewing capacity: Brew up to eight cups at once.
- Automatic power off feature: This feature ensures you’ll never again forget to switch off your machine after use and waste power and therefore money.
- Professionally recognised: The Bonavita 1800ss is certified by the SCAA (Speciality Coffee Association of America).
The following is included with your purchase:
- A machine complete with brewer, water tank, filter basket and a thermal carafe
- An instruction manual
- A generous twenty four month warranty
How Well Does the Bonavita 1800SS Work?
We were really impressed with this machine. It’s such a simple process:
- Add water
- Add coffee
- Switch on and go!
The machine consistently made great tasting coffee, and it kept warm for ages. The temperature is consistently correct and the coffee isn’t just warm, it’s hot.
We also found it brewed really quickly too with the average pot taking around seven minutes of brewing time.
The Advantages of Choosing a Bonavita 1800SS Over Other Models
The Bonavita 1800SS is a solid contender in its category and it has the following advantages:
- Simple to use: The only switch to fathom out is the on/off switch. Simple!
- Makes good tasting coffee fast
- Compact enough to blend into your kitchen without looking bulky or out of place
- Dishwasher friendly parts
- Easy on your pocket: Retailing at just over $100, this machine is a good budget buy
The Disadvantages of Choosing a Bonavita 1800ss Over Other Models
The downsides to choosing the Bonavita 1800SS over other models are:
- No timer: You have to manually switch the machine on when you want it to brew. Not ideal of you like to wake up to fresh coffee.
- No brew stopper: This means that you can’t pause the brewing process to pour yourself a cup. You have to wait until the entire pot has brewed.
Who is This Machine Best Suited to?
The Bonavita 1800SS is great for anyone who wants good coffee the simple way. With no programming and no faff, a simple process of switching this machine on is all you need.
It’s also best suited to households with multiple people drinking the same brew (or someone who drinks a lot of coffee) as the best resulting coffee is made when brewing a full pot.
Who Isn’t This Machine Good for?
Anyone who likes all the bells and whistles will be disappointed with this machine. It’s pretty no frills and doesn’t have programmable features or the ability to pre-set it.
Overall, this machine is a fairly middle of the road priced machine that makes good coffee.
It can be a bit of a faff compared to other machines because you have to replace the carafe lid to pour the coffee which means having to dump the grounds out straight away, but if you can live with that, then for the price, the Bonavita 1800SS is a good choice.
Update: The Bonavita BV1800SS is no longer available. So get yourself the upgraded Bonavita