- Coffee Makers with Direct Water Line Connection Buying Guide: All Your Plumbed Options
- Best Coffee Makers With Direct Water Line Connection of 2021 [Top 3 Reviews]
- Best Plumbing Kits to Add a Direct Water Line Connection to Your Coffee Maker [Top 3 Reviews]
Wouldn’t your coffee routine reach the next level if you could always rely on the freshest water without having to worry about refilling the reservoir every time?
Well, the fact that you’re looking for the best coffee makers with direct water line connection tells us that you’re already a step ahead of most coffee aficionados.
Sadly, this also means that you won’t find many options, since the demand for these bad boys is still fairly low.
Not to worry though: we’ve tried both the best coffee makers with direct water line connections and the best plumbing kits to upgrade your existing machine.
Let’s see which one is right for you!
AT A GLANCE: OUR TOP PICKS
- Pioneering company in plumbed coffee makers for the home
- Both single cups & large carafes
- Plumbing kit compatible with most automatic drippers
- Affordable option
- Easy to install
Coffee Makers with Direct Water Line Connection Buying Guide: All Your Plumbed Options
To help you make the right choice, let’s start with the basics.
What are the benefits of coffee makers with direct water line connection?
- The convenience of never having to refill your water reservoir or making the mistake of pressing the brew button with an empty tank… again!
- Practicality aside, leaving your water sitting in there for days isn’t even that hygienic: a coffee maker with a direct water line connection ensures a fresher brew;
- On top of that, these machines are usually more compact since they don’t involve a reservoir.
This makes them a great choice for larger households or offices (1).
“It's important to use fresh, high-quality coffee beans, but there's yet another (often overlooked) factor that is extremely important for good-tasting coffee: Water.” Death Wish Coffee
However, keep in mind that you won’t be able to move a plumbed coffee maker around and that it might need a bit more maintenance than a traditional model.
Should you opt for a plumbed coffee maker or one with a plumbing kit?
This depends on your existing equipment and needs:
- A coffee maker with direct water line connection is a practical all-in-one solution that, while involving a bigger investment, will save you countertop space and streamline your experience;
- A plumbing kit is a more affordable solution if you already have a machine that’s compatible with it. It also gives you more flexibility, which is preferable if you’re currently renting or if you feel like you might change your mind in a few years, perhaps because you want to upgrade your existing coffee maker one day.
How much coffee do you want to brew?
Before you fall in love with one of the coffee makers with direct water line connection or plumbing kits that we’ve included, figure out how much coffee you want to brew.
These machines are available as either automatic drippers or single-serve options:
- Automatic drippers are better suited for larger households or offices where everyone usually drinks coffee at the same time, or if you like to have a full pot for yourself and savor it slowly;
- Single-serve coffee makers work best for single professionals, couples, or households and offices with different coffee preferences.
Best Coffee Makers With Direct Water Line Connection of 2021 [Top 3 Reviews]
Here are the best plumbed machines that we’ve scouted for you:
Our Top Pick
Our Top Pick
K Filter Kit
|View on Amazon|
Inline Water Filter Kit
|View on Amazon|
Umjava Filter Kit
|View on Amazon|
Already spotted the right one for you? Check our plumbed coffee maker reviews to be on the safe side.
1. Keurig K150P - Our Top Pick
- Type: single-serve automatic dripper
- Brew sizes: 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 oz
- Best for: offices
Best for: those who want to combine the perks of automatic and manual drippers
You might have heard of the K150 or the Office Pro, some of the best Keurig coffee makers, but the P at the end of its name makes all the difference: this is the only Keurig model that can be plumbed directly to your water line connection!
Thanks to its 5 brew sizes and the fact that it’s compatible with all the best K-Cups, the Keurig K150P is fantastic for the office.
Not only that, but you can even program it to turn on & off at the times that best suit your schedule.
It also offers adjustable temperature settings and a user-friendly LCD full-color touch-screen in three languages.
For added practicality, the removable drip tray makes it easy to keep your new plumbed coffee maker clean.
Bottom line: If you work in an office where everyone has different coffee preferences and pots of joe always end up getting cold, you can make everyone happy with the Keurig K150P.
2. Brew Express - BEC-110 - Best for the Home
- Type: automatic dripper
- Brew sizes: from one cup to a 10-cup carafe
- Best for: small and large households
Nobody will understand your needs better than the company that first decided to add a direct water line connection to home brewers! (2)
This versatile plumbed coffee maker can brew anything from a single mug to a full 10-cup carafe.
PRO TIP: Don’t fancy waiting for the entire pot to be brewed? You can still enjoy your first cup of the day thanks to its brew-pause feature.
Finally, the soft-blue night light makes things even easier when it’s too early in the morning to function properly.
Bottom line: As well as being one of the very first, this award-winning model is still the best coffee maker with direct water line connection for the home.
- Type: single-serve automatic dripper
- Brew sizes: 4-16 oz
- Best for: offices or small households
Do you and your other colleagues or members of your household like different quantities of coffee?
Ranging from 4 to 16 oz, the Bunn My Cafe means that you’ll each be able to brew it exactly how you want it! And, thanks to its flip tray, you can fit cups or travel mugs of different sizes.
This model is compatible with most K-Cups and, thanks to its touchscreen interface, you’ll be able to find the best settings for different beverages, from your usual drip to coffee and cocoa.
Oh, and the hot water dispenser is always a plus.
Bottom line: A versatile plumbed coffee maker with something for everyone.
Best Plumbing Kits to Add a Direct Water Line Connection to Your Coffee Maker [Top 3 Reviews]
Would you rather add a plumbing kit to your existing machine rather than buying a new one? Here are your best options:
1. K Filter Kit For Keurig By PureWater Filters - Best for Keurig
Compatible with: some Keurig models (B150, K150, B155, K155)
Perhaps you already have a Keurig model that’s similar to the K150P but is not plumbed? In that case, it makes more sense to grab yourself this plumbing kit rather than replace the whole thing.
Perfect for the newest Keurig Office Pro but compatible with its previous similar models too, the K Filter Kit is a real game-changer that makes for an easy installation.
It also includes some granular activated carbon, guaranteed to remove chlorine as well as unpleasant tastes and odors from your water.
Its polyphosphate scale inhibitor will also help prolong the life of your coffee maker (3).
“Your water also needs to have minerals like calcium, magnesium, and bicarbonate to extract the coffee’s flavour effectively. Too many of these minerals will create limescale in your machine.” P. Golding, Perfect Daily Grind
Bottom line: Finally a way to turn some Keurig models into coffee makers with direct water line connection! It’s just a shame that it’s only compatible with 4 machines.
2. Inline Water Filter Kit For Nespresso Coffee Brewers - Best for Nespresso
Compatible with: most Nespresso models
If, instead of a Keurig, you have a Nespresso machine, the chances are that it’s compatible with this handy plumbing kit!
Once again, you won’t need to call a plumber since the installation is extremely easy, but, if you need extra peace of mind, you can get free telephone support through Nespresso.
This plumbing kit will also make the difference when it comes to flavor, removing chlorine and bad odors while preventing scale buildup, too.
Bottom line: We were positively surprised to find out that this plumbing kit is compatible with so many Nespresso machines.
3. Umjava Coffee Maker Water Line Kit - For Most Coffee Makers
Compatible with: most automatic drippers & single-serve machines
Let’s face it: while they’re some of the most popular brands, not everyone has either a Keurig or a Nespresso machine!
Maybe you have an automatic dripper since you need larger quantities of coffee? A single-serve coffee maker from a different brand? Or maybe you do have a Keurig, but one that’s not compatible with its extremely selective plumbing kit?
In that case, choose the incredibly affordable Umjava plumbing kit, compatible with most coffee makers.
It’s easy to install and, thanks to the under-cabinet valve mount, it stays fairly out of sight, without revolutionizing the look of your coffee area.
Bottom line: A truly game-changing solution that suits most coffee makers.
1. How do you plumb in a coffee maker?
To plumb in a coffee maker, the steps will change slightly depending on which model you own but the main thing is that you must connect its pipes (or, if you’re using one, plumbing kit) to your direct water line.
2. What is the difference between Keurig K150 and K150p?
The difference between the Keurig K150 and the K150P is that the former is simply the previous version of the Keurig Office Pro, whereas the latter is its plumbed alternative. Instead of relying on a traditional reservoir, you can connect it directly to your water line.
3. Which Keurig can be plumbed?
The only Keurig model that can be plumbed directly is the K150P. However, you can also plumb the B150, K150, B155 and K155 by using Keurig’s plumbing kit, or most Keurig models with the more versatile Umjava kit.
1. Teriele, T. (2018, August 21). 3 things you need to know about the water you brew coffee with. Retrieved from https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/blogs/coffee-talk/brewing-water
2. Spencer, B. (n.d.). About Brew Express. Retrieved from https://brewexpress.com/about-us.html
3. Golding, P. (2020, July 15). Four Errors Coffee Shops Make That Impact Coffee Quality. Retrieved from https://perfectdailygrind.com/2020/07/4-errors-coffee-shops-make-that-compromise-coffee-quality/