The Hamilton Beach digital coffee maker was tested alongside hundreds of other coffee makers to help bring you some impartial advice on which coffee maker will be best for you and your needs.
There are so many options out there that making a choice can be difficult and doing the level of research required to fully understand each machine is so time consuming.
It’s a risk that you end up with a machine that doesn’t really suit your lifestyle. That’s why we have spent the time and done the research for you.
Now all you have to do is read our review to get a fuller picture of this machine and:
Features of the Hamilton Beach Digital Coffee Maker
“Hamilton Beach 12 cup coffee makers make consistently fresh, flavourful coffee – whether you’re brewing a few cups or serving a large group. Attractive, functional and easy to clean, Hamilton Beach 12 cup coffee makers help you serve great coffee and look great on your countertop.”
The following are some of the features of this model:
- Easy fill – This design of this model makes filling it with coffee and water easy to do. The brew basket opens with the touch of the release button, and the machine is on wheels to make access to the water reservoir quick and easy
- Adjustable brewing settings – Choose from regular for a regular strength coffee, bold for a stronger tasting coffee and a small brew of one to four cups if you won’t get through twelve cups
- Programmable clock: The clock can be programmed to ensure the machine automatically shuts off after two hours.
This means you don’t risk forgetting to turn the machine off and saves you money and power. Coffee left on a hot plate for more than two hours wouldn’t be a good idea anyway – it would be over brewed to the point of being undrinkable. The hot plate is non stick
- There are also three temperature options for the brew plate:
This is great if you won’t be keeping it there for long as you can choose a lower heat setting and avoid that burnt taste that you can get from over heating the coffee
- Pause and serve options: You can pause the brew at any time to grab a cup of coffee before the full pot has finished brewing. Ideal if you want to grab a quick cup first thing while your morning’s coffee is still brewing
You will receive the following with your purchase:
- A Hamilton Beach machine
- A glass carafe
- A user manual
- A standard twelve month warranty
The following are some optional extras:
- Hamilton Beach permanent gold tone filter:
This is a reusable filter which you can purchase for less than $6 and is used instead of filter papers.
Although it comes with the slight inconvenience of having to be washed between uses, it will save you money on papers. If you would rather wash a filter rather than spend extra money, then this is for you!
How the Hamilton Beach Digital Coffee Maker Works
It’s a really simple process to use the machine:
- Pop out the coffee filter using the button and fill with the desired amount of coffee.
- Fill up the water reservoir to the desired level.
- Select from regular, bold or small brew
The machine takes around twelve minutes to make a twelve cup pot.
This machine has the following advantages:
- It’s pretty cheap, generally retailing around the $50 mark
- The option to buy a reusable filter makes it great value for money
- It’s simple and easy to use
- The front loading coffee filter is a great feature that makes filling it easy
- The coffee tastes good
As with everything, there are some downsides to this machine;
- It is a lot noisier than some other models, especially towards the end of the brewing process
- It is a lot steamier than other models meaning you’ll have to pull it forward if it’s placed under your cabinets to avoid damaging them
Top Tips for Getting the Most Out of your Machine
Here are some top tips to ensure you make the most of this machine should you choose to purchase it:
- Use only as directed by the manufacturer
- Make sure the machine is cleaned regularly and thoroughly
- Make sure the machine is descaled regularly
- Remember to pull it forward when in use
- Use good quality coffee
- Use freshly ground coffee
- Use filtered water for the best tasting coffee and less need to descale the machine
- Make sure you read the section in the user manual about filter basket overflows – this could be a problem if you don’t make sure you’re filling the basket correctly
Best Suited for..
This machine is perfect for anyone who wants the convenience of a digital machine on a low budget.
It’s a good choice for anyone who wants a stronger coffee as the bold option really does taste stronger than the regular option.
Not suited for..
This machine isn’t ideal for anyone who likes to wake up to a freshly brewed pot of coffee as there are no options to pre-set a pot.
It’s also not good for anyone who has quite narrow kitchen tops with over head cabinets because of the excessive steam.
Overall, this Hamilton Beach 12-Cup brewer is a sturdy little machine that makes good coffee with very little effort.
It had enough options to be able to customise your coffee to your tastes without having to spend hours working out how to use the functions and experimenting with settings.
A good buy.