Capsule coffee machines deliver the perfect balance between good quality lattes, cappuccinos and espressos without having to spend hours perfecting your technique.
During our research into the best capsules coffee makers, we were instantly impressed with the Keurig Rivo. This machine performed consistently throughout our testing process and we were so impressed, we named it our choice for the best performing capsule espresso maker overall.
Click here to see latest price
Read the rest of the article to learn more about:
- The Keurig Rivo’s capabilities
- How to get the best from your machine
- The advantages and disadvantages of this machine
The Keurig Rivo: What Can It Do?
“The Keurig Rivo system is named after the Italian word for revolutionary. The simplicity of Keurig technology enables you to brew espresso and froth any type of fresh milk at the touch of a button at home.”
Here are some of the things the Keurig Rivo can do for you:
- Give you barista style coffee without any fuss or any required knowledge of the barista methods
- Make quick, convenient coffees. Each cup brews in under a minute!
What Features Does It Have?
The Keurig Rivo is chiefly a cappuccino and latte system. It has the following features:
· Fifteen bars of pressure for fast brewing: This is ideal if you are doing a round of coffees – no more will you find that the first person served has finished their drink before the last person even has theirs!
· Simultaneous brewing and milk preparation: The design of this machine allows you to brew your coffee on one side of the machine while frothing your milk on the other side at the same time, meaning your coffee and milk will be ready together, which again makes the process a whole lot faster.
· Three milk frothing modes: You can choose from latte milk, cappuccino milk or there’s even a cold froth option. Each setting gives the perfect milk for its drink meaning that your coffees will be perfect without you having to guess how the milk should be frothed.
· Two espresso sizes: Small is 1.4oz and lungo is 2.8oz. This feature allows you to choose the second option if you like your cappuccino’s or lattes a little bit stronger.
Video: Keurig Rivo R500 Review
Check out the video below to see how this product works.
Getting the Most out of the Keurig Rivo
As we discussed above, the Keurig Rivo is primarily a latte and cappuccino maker. However, a few simple tricks can mean it can do so much more! Here are some tips to get the most out of your machine!
· To make an Americano, brew your espresso as normal, then run it through again without changing the capsule. This means you are topping up the espresso with hot water, making for a longer drink. Repeat as required.
· For espressos, a simple way to decide on the size is this: If you order an extra shot in your favourite coffee shot, choose the lungo option. If you don’t, choose the small option.
· To make a Café Crema, brew your espresso as normal. Set the milk frother to cold froth and froth a small amount of milk. Add it to the top of the espresso for extra, creamier crema.
For Best Results:
To get the best coffee each time you use the machine, follow these simple tips:
- Follow the directions in the manual
- Ensure the machine is cleaned regularly
- Ensure the machine is descaled regularly
- Use only good quality coffee capsules – Keurig recommend using Lavazza espresso capsules
Take advantage of the option for the extended warranty. The product comes with a standard twelve month warranty, but there are options for:
- An extended three year warranty at only $13.26
- An extended four year warranty at only $17.70
Although the Keurig Rivo is well made and should last longer than that, it never hurts to be prepared and the extended warranties are so cheap! You could save that amount in a day or two of not having to buy expensive coffee shop coffee!
Advantages of the Keurig Rivo
This is what we love about this machine:
- It’s simple and easy to use
- It brews coffee quickly
- The attractive design
- Small and light weight
- Reasonably priced
Disadvantages of the Keurig Rivo
There are only really two downsides to this machine, and one of them isn’t this product specifically, it’s about capsule machines in general:
- Although the coffee tastes good, it will never taste quite as good as freshly ground barista coffee.
You should consider whether the taste difference is really enough to spend an extra couple of hundred dollars and commit so much time to learning the ways to use the barista style machine.
- The milk frothing cup that’s included is a little flimsy and prone to breaking.
This isn’t a huge problem; it just means you will need to use a jug or something similar if yours breaks.
Overall, the Keurig Rivo is a great choice of capsule coffee machines. Its simplicity of use, good price and sleek design make it a fantastic all rounder, and the fast brewing time makes it an excellent choice if more than one person would like to drink their coffees together!
Remember, this machine is our top pick for the best capsule espresso maker overall – that’s a great recommendation!
Click here to see the latest price