Well that’s some model name isn’t it! Luckily, the Mr Coffee machine is much easier to use than it is to remember!
We have been trying and testing coffee makers to bring you some impartial advice when you’re trying to decide which machine to buy. Along the way, we tried this Mr Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT machine.
Retailing at less than $35, this machine is our top pick for the best budget coffee maker. The price might be cheap, but that doesn’t mean the machine is bad which you will see through the article.
The Features of the BVMC-SJX33GT coffee machine
“The Mr Coffee BVMC-SJX33GT-AM twelve cup programmable coffee maker features a modern design and is thermal carafe compatible to extend fresh coffee flavour and help retain a hot temperature longer.”
The features of the Mr Coffee machine include:
- A choice between a glass carafe or a thermal carafe
- Delay brew timer: This feature means you can set the machine up and then set a timer for when you want the machine to start brewing the coffee so you can wake up to freshly brewed coffee.
- Freshness timer: This timer ensures the coffee you’re drinking is still fresh and will indicate when it’s time to throw it away!
- Brew strength selector: You can choose from a normal brew or a bold brew for added strength if you like your coffee to really pack a punch.
- Water filter: An added water filter removes the chemicals from your water giving you an even better flavour in your coffee.
- Brewing pause and serve: This feature is great if you’re brewing a full pot of coffee and you just can’t wait to get stuck in. You can pause the brewing process and pour yourself a cup then restart the brewing process.
- Auto shut off: This machine can be programmed to shut off two hours after you brew your coffee. This is great as it means you don’t have to be constantly aware of having to go and turn the machine off after the allotted time.
The following is included with your purchase:
- A Mr Coffee machine
- A glass carafe
- An instruction manual
- A water filtration system
- A standard twelve month warranty
The following optional extras are also available:
- An extended warranty for three or four years for a small additional fee.
- Mr Coffee thermal stainless steel decanter DRD95 if you prefer a thermal carafe.
- Mr Coffee GTF2-1 basket style gold tone permanent filter (this is a reusable filter that stops the need for paper filters. It retails for around $6 and if you don’t mind having to wash it between uses, it can save you a lot of money in the long run compared to buying paper filters.
How well does this machine work?
We were pleasantly surprised to discover that this machine works as well as any other model on the market.
People say you get what you pay for. When we stopped to compare the list of features on this machine with the features on more expensive machines, it makes us wonder if that’s true. Are you paying more for things because you expect that cheaper products won’t work as well? If that’s the case, then you can relax. This machine works as well as any of the others we tested.
The coffee tastes good. It’s consistently hot but not enough to leave a burnt taste. You can really taste the difference between a standard cup and a bold cup.
Things we like..
Here are some of the advantages of the Mr Coffee Machine:
- The ridiculously low price
- The ability to pause mid-brew and pour a cup when you want it
- The choice of a glass or a thermal carafe
- Filtered water
Things we didn't like
Trying to find disadvantages of a machine that makes good tasting coffee at this price was hard, but in the interest of providing a full picture, we nit-picked until we found something:
- The Mr Coffee machine isn’t as pretty as some other models
- The minimum brew is four cups
- The LCD clock isn’t illuminated
Top Tips to Get the Most Out of the Mr Coffee Machine
Here are a few things we picked up along the way to ensure you get the most out of your machine:
- Only use as directed by the manufacturer
- Ensure you are cleaning your machine regularly and thoroughly
- Ensure you descale the machine regularly
- Use good quality coffee
- Use freshly ground coffee
- Make sure you are changing the water filter regularly
- Run a couple of cycles through before brewing your first pot. There is a plastic smell on these first few runs, but once the machine is primed, this goes away
This machine is suitable for..
This machine is ideal for anyone who wants all the bells and whistles without the huge price tag.
This machine is not suitable for..
Anyone who wants a machine that looks super stylish should perhaps steer away from this machine. It’s not awful, but there are better looking machines out there.
Also, it’s not a good choice for anyone who doesn’t want to use filtered water.
Overall, you can now see why we chose the Mr Coffee machine as out best budget buy. The machine does as much as any other machine out there (more than a lot of them) for a fraction of the cost.
As you will have seen, we struggled to come up with any disadvantages of this machine. We would definitely recommend this machine to anyone looking for a new coffee maker without breaking the bank!