Introducing the Rancilio Silvia:
An Italian made espresso machine that is perfect for experiences baristas or beginners who are willing to learn. This machine is semi-automatic, which means that you will have to customise the settings yourself.
This is perfect for anyone who knows how they like their coffee and wants to be able to make customised drinks to suit their own tastes.
Click here to check price
The Rancilio Silvia is also one of the few home barista style machines to feature commercial trade parts for durability and that professional touch. For that reason, we have named this machine as our top pick for semi-professional machines.
“This popular, traditional style semi-automatic espresso machine is built to last. Its strong linear designed housing is constructed of an iron frame and stainless steel side panels.”
Read on to find out more about:
- The features of the Rancilio Silvia
- The pros of choosing this machine
- The cons of choosing this machine
- What you get for your buck
The Features of the Rancilio Silvia
· Commercial grade group head: The commercial grade group heads provides premium quality extraction from the beans and excellent heat stability, meaning each cup will be poured at the perfect temperature and with the right amount of flavour, depth and body.
· Patented ergonomic porta filter: These filters are the same as the ones used in all of Rancilio’s commercial products, so you know you are getting the best of the best.
· 12oz boiler: This boiler is the largest capacity volume boiler of any home coffee machine. Provides remarkable steaming power and recovers quickly between uses.
· Easy fill water tank: Although removable, the tank can also be filled from the top during use. This means you don’t have to remove and reattach the tank and it won’t slow you down if you are making numerous coffees at a time.
· Rotating milk frother: The milk frother can be fully moved to allow for any size container.
· Commercially designing steaming knob: The frother can be controlled using the steaming knob, which is commercially designed, meaning it’s durable and fully customisable to get the perfect pressure for the milk type of your choice, producing coffee shop quality lattes and cappuccinos every time.
Video: Making Espresso with the Rancilio Silvia Espresso Maker
What Is Included with the Rancilio Silvia?
The Rancilio Silvia comes with the following accessories and extras:
- Seven gram coffee scoop
- A plastic tamper
- Single filter basket
- Double filter basket
- A standard twelve month warranty
- An option for a three/four year warranty at an additional price.
- Manufacturer’s instruction booklet
Plus of course, all of the standard parts you would expect – water tank and cover, grinder, drip tray etc.
There is also a pod and capsule adaptor kit for this machine, meaning you can use it to make your favourite pod coffees too. Please note: This kit isn’t included with a standard purchase, it is an optional extra which you can buy as a separate add on.
There are many advantages to choosing this machine. Here are our top reasons for choosing this model over some of the other models available:
· Sleek, professional design – The linear design and chrome finish makes this machine look ultra modern. It’s not overly big and will fit the décor of most kitchens without looking out of place.
· Commercial grade parts – This really is the best feature of this machine. By using commercial grade parts in their home machines, Rancilio are demonstrating their commitment to delivering long lasting machines that perform.
· Durable – The combination of commercial grade parts and the iron base mean this machine won’t fall apart or break quickly. The machine is made to last and if cared for properly, will out perform any other machine on durability and long term performance.
· Large boiler – The large boiler means you aren’t constantly having to refill the machine. This machine could even be used in a small café.
I think it’s fair to say that the downside of this machine could also be an upside.
If you are not particularly experienced in using barista style coffee makers, then the lack of automation on the Rancilio Silvia might take a bit of getting used to. With some perseverance it is achievable though, and your taste buds will thank you for it in the long run.
Of course, if you are an experienced barista, this could be seen as a positive for the product. You know you will be able to fully customise every aspect of your coffee meaning you get it your way – not the machine’s way.
A Little Tip:
Being a fully professional machine using commercial grade parts, this machine won’t like cheap coffee! Buy a good quality coffee and a good quality grinder. Experiment with the coarseness of the grind and you will soon find the perfect strength and body!
Of course there’s no rule to say you have to do this, but if you’re going to the effort of making a barista style coffee, then you obviously appreciate good coffee. Don’t let the grinding process let you down.
It can be tempting to buy pre-ground coffee, but the flavour just isn’t as good. The coffee begins to turn stale pretty quickly after being ground, and while this won’t harm you, it will impair the flavour of the coffee.
Coming in at just under $700, you won’t find a more professional, more durable machine in this price range. The Rancilio Silvia is ideal for baristas or wannabe baristas who are willing to experiment and learn to use the machine correctly.
The machine is Italian made, and let’s face it – Italians know coffee. You can’t go wrong with this machine for quality and professionalism.
Click here to check price